Speaking at a Parliament session in Ankara, the foreign minister said Turkey first sent a note to the U.S. authorities, seeking a clarification over the situation and wellbeing of Mr. Zarrab after his lawyers were unable to get into contact with him for several days.
But Mr. Cavusoglu said there had been no response from the U.S. officials for three to four days. “As of yesterday, our friends again asked the U.S. with a note that, “We asked you with a note that date, but there had been no reply from you.”
After the recent note, he said there were replies from Justice Department and State Department to the Turkish Embassy in D.C. “He is in another place, his health is good, safe and no problem. That’s the essence of the matter,” he said in response to a question from a lawmaker.
On Wednesday, Turkish media reported about the diplomatic note sent to the U.S. authorities.
The note urged the U.S. to notify the Turkish Embassy and officials before the relocation of Turkish detainees into other facilities.
Turkish-Iranian gold trader Zarrab stands trial over violating U.S.-led sanctions against Iran. He will appear at a court hearing on Nov. 27.
U.S. prosecutors think that Mr. Zarrab might have sought support from President Erdogan during his scheme to bust Iran sanctions.