Six Turks Killed by Syria Regime Shelling in Idlib, Ankara Says
Five Turkish soldiers and a civilian attached to the army were killed on Monday by Syrian forces’ shelling in the northwestern region of Idlib, Turkey’s defense ministry said.
The ministry updated the toll from four after a soldier and the civilian succumbed to their injuries. It said seven soldiers were also wounded.
The ministry said the soldiers came under attack despite coordinating their location with the Syrian army.
“Those who conducted this heinous attack will be brought to account and we will use our right to self-defense in any similar attack,” the ministry said in a statement.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier said 30 to 35 Syrian troops had been killed in retaliatory attacks.
Turkey has 12 observation posts in the region under an agreement with Russia, which supports the Damascus government, and had reinforced the positions on Sunday, according to local media.
Turkish broadcaster NTV reported that joint patrols planned in Kobane, northern Syria with Russian forces on Monday had been cancelled.
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar was on his way to the Syrian border, the ministry said on Twitter, joined by other high-ranking military personnel.